Early Years Education Funding

15 Hours Childcare & 30 Hours Funding

Please note, since Somerset changed to the “Stretched Entitlement” offer, your child is now allocated 570 hours per year. This is given the term after their 2nd ( check eligibility) or 3rd birthday. There is no longer a ’cap’ on the amount of hours you can claim in a term, but there are still other restrictions.

If you are unsure of what funding may be avilable to you visit the childcare choices website where you will be able to see what you are eligible for.

Enquire Now

30 Hour Additional Funding

We Offer Funding 

From September 2017 eligible families of 3 & 4 year old children will be able to access up to an additional 15 funded hours a week on top of their universal entitlement (see below)


Parents of three and four year olds will need to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for upto

30 hours funded childcare:


• They earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage

  over the coming three months.

• This equates to £120 a week (or c.£6,000 a year) for each parent over 25 years old or

  £112.80 a week (or c.£5,800 a year) for each parent between 21 and 24 years old.

• This applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on zero hours contract.

• The parent (and their partner where applicable) should be seeking the free childcare to

  enable them to work.

• Where one or both parents are on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or

  if they are on statutory sick leave.

• Where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they

  are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability

  to work.

• Where a parent is in a ‘start-up period’ (i.e. they are newly self-employed) they do not need

  to demonstrate that they meet the income criteria for 12 months.

• If a non-EEA national, the parent must have recourse to public funds.



You can find out more information on this and the goverments new Tax Free Childcare scheme by visiting Childcare Choices and answering a few simple questions. Otherwise pop in to The Olive Tree Nursery and we will be more than happy to help.



This funding is only available for 38 weeks of the year. If you wish to use this funding on an 'all year round' basis it will not equate to 30 hours a week.  If you use these hours on an ' all year round' basis you will have 22 hours per week.


30 hour funding x 38 funded weeks = 1,140 hours per year

1,140 funded hours / 50 weeks of the year = 22 hours per week. 

Child at Psychologist

3 & 4 Year Old Universal Funding

30 Hours Funding

The 3 & 4 year old universal funding is available to ALL children the term after their 3rd birthday and continues until they start school. The 3 & 4 year old universal funding entitles you to 570 hours a year.


No more than 10 hours to be used a day


EYEF does not cover extra costs, such as meals and extra activities


No more than 15 hours per week, if used on a ‘Term Time Only’ place


No more than 11 hours per week, if used on an ‘All Year Round’ place


Funding can only be used for our ' educational sessions' for more information please ask


You are allocated 570 hours the term after your child’s birthday.  At present our hourly rate for funded hours is £3.70.


570 x £3.70 = £2109.00 per year


If you would like more information please email us.

Funding Term dates

 Autumn Term Dates

  1st September to 31st December


Spring Term Dates

  1st January to 31st March


Summer Term Dates

  1st April to 31st August

2 Year Old Funding

15 Hours Free Childcare

We are pleased to be able to offer 2 year old funded spaces.


Families with 2 year old children who meet the criteria below can apply for funding for 2 year olds. Somerset County Council will pay for a place for up to 570 hours over the year at a registered childcare provider. A maximum of 15 hours per week is available. Children become eligible in the funding period after their second birthday. (Extract taken from Somerset.gov.uk)

Am I entitled?

Families who receive any of the following are entitled to funding for 2 year olds:​

  • Universal Credit

  • Income Support (IS)

  • Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) - not Contribution related

  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA) - not Contribution based

  • Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit

  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

  • Child Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) of less than £16,190  

  • Working Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) of less than £16,190

Children are entitled if any of the following apply to them:

  • Children who are 2 and receive Disability Living Allowance

  • Children who are 2 and have been adopted, or who have left care through special guardianship or child arrangement orders

  • Children who are 2 and have a Statement of Special Educational Needs/Education Health and Care Plan

  • Children who are 2 and are looked after by the local authority